Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The RetroPie Control Block

Now this may be just what the doctor ordered: the RetroPie Control Block.  Adds controller AND power switch interfaces.  Then I can add a soft-power switch and controller inputs.

While I wait for some parts to arrive - notably nylon standoffs for the Pi and an Ethernet extension cable, I am ruminating on how to interface controllers.

I have a couple of USB-based Nintendo-like controllers I picked up for like $12 for the 2 of them.  That's a good start.  But ideally, I'd like to have a custom durable controller that includes an old-school joystick and arcade like buttons - something the boys and I can abuse to some extent.  We could run the inputs from the Control Block to a port or ports on the Atari case - possibly the 2 9-pin DSUB joystick ports.  Then you have the flexibility to use USB controller devices or plug in the custom arcade controller.

No comments:

Post a Comment